What does it take to be a Teal Pumpkin Pal? It’s simple! When Halloween rolls around this year, simply offer a few non-food items (a little list here) that are fun substitutes to candy or chocolate treats. It is also helpful to add a sign to your door so that allergy families know you are participating in The Teal Pumpkin Project ®. We have created some FREE, “Teal Pumpkin Pal,” printables that are available in our Facebook group (under files) or by clicking here!
Each year my food allergy kiddo gets SO excited for Halloween. She has been listing off her Halloween costumes for approximately 6 months, in anticipation of the fun night. The candy and treats really aren’t the highlight for her, since she honestly hasn’t eaten one treat she collects in her bag. It’s just too risky. Instead, we do a quick swap out when we get home for something she really loves. – we always keep a stash of her favourite little prizes like stickers, Playdough, markers, new colouring books etc.
Luckily, some of our neighbours are beginning to offer different options like bookmarks, gift certificates for the local skating rink, with many making the choice to hand out peanut-free candy, which is awesome! Not inclusive of all food allergies, but I’m happy they are becoming more conscious of their Halloween food purchases.
Teal Pumpkin Pal
If you are looking to support your local food allergy families, it is really easy – here are 6 ways you can take action:
- Print off a Teal Pumpkin SIGN to hang on your door this Halloween.
- Place a Teal Pumpkin on your front step.
- Offer a selection of Food Free Items for Trick-or-treating.
- Join the Teal Pumpkin Project map so families can find your house.
- Make sure to tag #sosisafe and #tealpumpkinproject so we can see your front doors!
- Invite your other friends to your door who benefit from Non-Food items: Neuro-diverse kiddos, EOE kidlets, diabetic children, FPIES friends, children with feeding tubes, or any child on a special diet.
Thank you so much for finding out more information about how to become a Teal Pumpkin Pal. It really does mean a lot to our Sosi and all our Food Allergy Family friends. If you are looking for a supportive community: join us on Facebook, Instagram, and even Twitter!
We wish everyone a safe and Happy Halloween!
Mel + Fam